Clan Scott Heritage Trail
The pages will eventually all have brief notes on each location and where more information is available, there are links to longer pages on some of the places where appropriate. These main descriptions are all listed under the "Places to Visit" tab at the top of each Web page on this site.
The pages will eventually have brief notes on each location and where more information is available, there are links to longer pages on some of the places where appropriate. These main descriptions are all listed under the "Places to Visit" tab at the top of each Web page on this site.
Guidance on the roads on this Heritage Trail is highlighted on Bold/italic font.
NOTE: a growing number of the entries have a "Post Code" beside them - these are used by Sat-Nav software to supply routes to these locations.
Scotstarvit Tower, Near Cupar
Killernie Castle, Cowdenbeath - ruin of 16th century tower house. Initially property of of James Colville of East Wemyss but passed to the Duries and later the Scotts of Balwearie.
Balwearie Castle, Kirkcaldy - Only the ruins of a 15th century keep survive. Property had been owned by the Scotts since the 13th century. May have been the home of Michaerl Scott who may have been born at Aikwood in the Borders. Michael was a scholar who studied at Oxford. His writings and translations were valued around Europe in the 13th century. His involvement in alchemy, astrology and astronomy gave him a reputation for being a "wizard" which entered the mythology of Scotland, particularly in the Border area. Sir Walter Scott enhanced his reputation when he wrote about him in his ballad "The Lay of the Last Minstrel".
Cairneyflappet Castle, Auchtermuchty - site of a castle mentioned in 1420 and 1509 but had been demolished by 1734.The name was a nickname by King James V. riginally owned by the Earls of ifein the 12th century but passed to the Scotts of Balwearie by the 16th century.
Pitlour, Auchtermuchty - KY14 7RS Site of an earlier castle but now a classical mansion. Lands were the property of the Scotts in he 15th and 16th centuries.
A91 to Cupar
Scotstarvit Tower, near Cupar - (KY15 5PA) In 1475, a tower house near Craigrothie, south of Ceres in Fife, was known as Inglis-Tarvit. Much of the neighbouring land was owned by the Scotts of Balwearie. In 1611, the Tarvit estate was bought by a Perthshire lawyer Sir John Scot. He improved the tower and renamed it Scotstarvit Tower. Scot became Lord Scot in 1632 and soon afterwards rescued the maps of Timothy Pont, the first detailed maps of Scotland which had been created from 1583-1596. The tower is well preserved and rises to six storeys plus an attic. The tower originally had a magnificent carved fireplace in the hall with the date 1627 and the initials of Scot and his wife. But this was removed when Hill of Tarvit Mansionhouse was being created nearby in 1904.
Dairsie Castle, near Cupar - (KY15 4RL) A 16th century tower house, now a ruin. Originally property of Bishops and Archbishops of St Andrews but much later becme owned by the Scotts of Scotstarvit.
Rumgally House, near Cupar - (KY15 5SY) The house incorporates a 16th century tower house which passed to the Scotts of Balwearie by 1528.
Elie House, Elie - (KY9 1ER) An apparently modern house which incorporates a building dating from 1697 but on the site of an earlier catle. Passed to the Scotts by the end of the 17th century.
Ardross Castle, Elie - Remains of a 14/15 century keep and castle sold to Sir William scott of Elie in 1607 but passed to Sir William Anstruther towards the end of the 17th century.
Isle of May Castle (Firth of Forth - boat leaves Anstruther) - Little remains of a 16th century castle. The property passed to the Scotts of Scotsrarvit, then the Scotts of Balconie.
Thirdpart House, Crail - (KY10 3XD) Site of a castle held for a long period by the Scotts of Scotstarvit.
Scotscraig, Tayport - Site of old castle but present mansion dates from 1817. Land was owned by Bishop of St Andrews but passed to the Scotts of Scotstarvit in the 13th century. The Dalgleish family built the present mansion.