Abbotsford House, The home built by Sir Walter Scott, open again after an extensive programme of irefurbishment.
The Duke of Buccleuch's Selkirk Home with extensive grounds, a magnificent house and large collection of art, country walks, gardens, children's play adrea
The Duke of Buccleuch's castle in Dumfries & Galloway with large estate, gardens
If you know of any other sites related to these subjects, please let us know via the "Contact Page".
Sir Walter Scott came here as a youngster. He described Smailholm as "standing stark and upright like a warden
The Scott family moved here from Buccleuch Castle, in part so that they were nearer to England for cattle rusling and sheep stealing
The building belonged to the Scotts of Dryhope. A daughter of the House, Mary Scott (known as the "Flower of Yarrow" (who was also an ancestor of Sir Walter Scott, the writer) was given in marriage to Wat Scott of Kirkhope, a notorious Border Reiver.
The castle was known as the guardhouse of the bloodiest valley in Britain, and the "Strength of Liddesdale". King James VI granted the castle to Sir Walter Scott of Buccleuch,("the bold Buccleuch") a notorious Border reiver, Warden of the western marches, The castle became obsolete after the Union of the Crowns, in 1603 and fell into disrepair, by the turn of the eighteenth century it was a ruin.
This historic castle, high above the south bank of the Yarrow Water, is associated with Anne Scott, 1st Duchess of Buccleuch who married the 1st Duke of Monmouth who was later beheaded for attempting to win the British throne.
External Links Only - See also Places to Visit on this site for more Scott related pages
A historic house and the former seat of the Duke of Buccleuch. The present house was built in 1702 on the site of an earlier castle. The state is now a large public park
In 1611 John Scott acquired Tarvet and other lands in Fife, to which he gave the name of Scotstarvit, and six years later he was knighted and made a privy councillor by James VI.
Sir Walter Scott Way is a 92 mile / 148 kilometre or 94 mile / 151 kilometre cross-country walk between Moffat in South Central Scotland to Cockburnspath on the South East Scottish Coastline.